Saturday, July 23, 2011

Week Four -- Pixton

This week I have been working on my addition to our class wiki page and researching different sites that use Web 2.0.  Along the way I ran into Pixton, and online comic creation website.  At first I thought this would be a waste of time in the classroom.  Certainly students would have a good time creating a comic strip and soliciting a few laughs from their peers -- I even created a few to tease my family over the weekend -- but it turned out to be much more.

The site is easy to figure out and allows users to create characters, advance plot, and bring a story to life.  I even emailed my curriculum leader to see if I can sneak some funding so I can experiment with it during the upcoming school year.  It would be an incredible way for them to create an online book review for our classroom library.  Instead of writing a couple of paragraphs that their peers won't read, they can create a comic strip that will act as a hook to a potential reader.   I'm also flirting with the idea of using it as a comprehension and interpretation assessment of literature later in the year.  It's always exciting to find new forms of technology that will be fun and effective in my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment